Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Story of Ilyne Mercy Otieno (1 year 2 months)

Parent: Susan Adhiambo
Child: Ilyne Mercy Otieno (1 year 2 months)
Type of CP: Spastic

Immediately after I gave birth to my baby girl Ilyne, she did not cry like any other normal child; she cried after 8 hours. She then was incubated for 5 days the first two being on oxygen.

At three months, my baby could not smile at me or even make any body movements. It was then that I realize that something was terribly wrong and had to see a pediatrician who later referred me to an occupational therapist.
It was devastating! I had so many questions all revolving around WHY? Why her? Why me? Why us? I was in denial for around 1 month. When I gathered enough strength I went to go see an occupational therapist who confirmed that my baby girl had spastic Cerebral Palsy. I had to get counseling to help me start taking her for therapy.

It took me a while to understand the condition and learn of all the major sacrificed that I had to do. I resigned from my job in Kisumu and relocated to Nairobi in order to Ilyne the special care and attention that she needed. I take her for therapy 5 times a week.

Therapy has made me see so many improvements, in that she can crawl using her belly, smile and even do some body movements.

I am hopeful that better days are coming and that she will become independent, and that she will run and play like other children out there.

Story by Esther Kyalo

No comments:

Post a Comment